Exploring Darwell Woods
Darwell Woods and Reservoir
Near Battle
Another great wood to go and explore.
Varied terrain though lots of up and down. There are quite a few deer over this way, usually out in the fields. If you sit quietly they will come out.
I remember sitting under a large oak tree in the field. Playing my flute and I heard a Sparrowhawk. It was singing back to me as I played; it flew over to a nearby tree to see what was going on but as soon as it spotted "human!" it quickly flew off back to the woods.
I love exploring this wood, so many different places... tall times, immense oaks, lots of black and white popular... and of course beech, hazel and hornbeam. There are various landslips that have occurred, the trees are all alive though now growing at strange angles and interlocking. Its a unique look and somehow feels primeval.
The reservoir itself is great to. The water lapping on the shore, the kingfishers darting about, the swans and geese. The shore is a mix of slag from bygone industry - obsidian-like lumps, brick and other assorted stones. It's great just to sit, watch the sun set over the waters.. one could almost fall asleep and drift to a new world.
Comments
Post a Comment