Reflected in the Earth

Reflected in the Earth

On shelves, windowsills and tables around my home sits a collection of stones. Some are crystals. Others are fossils, flints or weathered pebbles gathered during walks. A few were gifts and a few were bought, but many were simply found. They came from beaches, woodland paths, hillsides and places that have become meaningful to me over the years. None were collected according to a plan. I never set out to build a collection. If a stone caught my eye, I picked it up. If it continued to hold my attention once I got home, it stayed.

For a long time I thought very little about why. The stones were simply there, scattered amongst books and keepsakes, quiet companions gathered from different stages of life. Occasionally I would pick one up, turn it over in my hand and then place it back where it belonged. Only recently did I begin looking at the collection as a whole rather than as individual pieces. When I did, I realised that something connected them all.

People often ask about the meanings of crystals. Entire books have been written assigning properties and correspondences to different stones. Amethyst is said to represent spirituality. Moonstone intuition. Tiger’s Eye courage. Whether there is truth in such associations is not something I feel strongly about. What interests me far more is why certain stones draw our attention in the first place. Why does one person walk past a stone without noticing it, while another feels compelled to stop, pick it up and carry it home?

Looking across the collection, I realised that I am repeatedly drawn to the same kinds of patterns. Some stones contain veins that resemble roots spreading through soil. Others preserve fossils from ancient seas. Some have been worn smooth by water, while others contain cavities opened by weather and time. Even the polished stones seem to echo the natural world. Ocean Jasper reminds me of tidal pools and moss-covered rocks. Kambaba Jasper carries patterns that resemble ancient forests and algae-covered stones. Tiger’s Eye catches the light like sunlight filtering through woodland. Again and again I find myself drawn towards stones that seem to tell stories of nature, change and connection.

Many of my favourite pieces come from places that already hold significance in my life. The flints, fossils and rounded white stones scattered around my shelves were gathered during walks on the South Downs around the Long Man of Wilmington. Some contain fossilised sea urchins and other echinoderms preserved within the flint itself. Every time I hold one, I am reminded that the landscape I walk today was once the floor of a warm sea. The chalk hills, fields and woodland paths of the Downs feel ancient, yet they are only the latest expression of a story that began millions of years ago beneath the ocean.

Perhaps that is one reason I find myself returning to the Downs so often. The landscape constantly reveals layers of time. Chalk formed from countless microscopic marine organisms. Flint hidden within that chalk for millions of years before weather and erosion exposed it once more. Fossils emerging from the earth to tell stories of worlds long vanished. Every walk becomes a reminder that the ground beneath our feet is not static. It is a living archive of change.


Other stones carry different memories. Several pieces of gypsum in my collection came from woodland near Brightling. Hidden amongst roots and leaf litter were delicate crystals that had formed quietly beneath the surface. Discovering them felt less like finding an object and more like uncovering a secret. They reminded me that some things reveal themselves only when we slow down enough to notice them.

One of my favourite pieces, however, is a block of jet that I found on the beach at Fairlight. To most people it would appear to be little more than a black stone amongst countless others, yet its story stretches across unimaginable spans of time. Jet began life as wood. Long before the South Downs rose above the sea, before the villages, roads and forests I know today existed, ancient trees grew, fell and were buried beneath layers of sediment. Pressure and time transformed them into something new before coastal erosion eventually released them once more. When I hold that piece of jet, I think not only of the ancient forest from which it came but also of Fairlight itself; the cliffs above the shore, the wind coming off the sea and the moment I noticed a dark shape amongst the stones. The age of the jet gives it wonder, but the place gives it meaning.

As I spent more time reflecting on the collection, I realised that stones connect me to the Earth in a way that few other objects can. Walking barefoot connects me to the ground beneath my feet. Time spent in forests connects me to the living world around me. Stones offer another form of that same relationship. They provide a tangible link to landscapes I love, places I return to and processes that existed long before I arrived and will continue long after I am gone.


Perhaps that is what I find most compelling about them. Every stone in the collection is ancient. Even the youngest are measured not in years or centuries but in spans of time that are difficult to comprehend. The fossils, flints, chalk and jet carry stories that stretch back millions of years. Holding them offers a sense of perspective. In a world that often measures everything in days, deadlines and immediate concerns, stones remind me that I am part of a story far older and far larger than myself.

When I hold different stones, they do not feel the same. Their weight, texture, colour and history all create a different experience. A piece of jet feels different from a fossil. A fragment of flint feels different from a polished piece of jade. Hematite carries a different presence from amethyst. Whether those differences arise from the stones themselves, my own perceptions or the relationship between the two is difficult to say. What matters is that the distinction feels real. Each piece seems to possess its own character, its own atmosphere, its own way of inviting attention.

Looking across the collection now, I realise that I have not been gathering stones according to colour, rarity or value. Nor have I been choosing them according to the meanings assigned to them by others. Instead, I seem to have been collecting the same ideas over and over again in different forms. Transformation. Connection. Deep time. Emergence. The meeting of earth and water. The relationship between what is hidden and what is revealed. Forest becoming stone. Ocean becoming hill. Crystal emerging from darkness. Again and again the same themes appear.


What surprised me most was realising that these themes are not confined to the stones themselves. They are the same themes that appear throughout my walks, my writing and my reflections. They are present in the forests I explore, the springs I visit, the ancient places that call to me and the ideas that continue to surface whenever I spend time in nature. The stones are not teaching me something new. Instead, they are reflecting back patterns that I was already encountering elsewhere.

And then another realisation followed.

Looking across the collection, I realised that I had not really been collecting stones at all.

I had been collecting places.

The Downs around Wilmington. The woods near Brightling. The beach at Fairlight. Memories of walks, discoveries and moments of quiet attention. What sits upon my shelves is not merely a collection of rocks and crystals. It is a map of relationships. A record of places that have shaped me and the ideas that continue to emerge whenever I spend time amongst them.

Perhaps that is why these stones remain while others do not. Their significance does not lie entirely within the mineral itself. It grows through memory, experience and recognition. A fragment of flint gathered during a memorable walk may hold more meaning than a rare crystal purchased from a shop because it carries a story that belongs to both the stone and the person who found it.

When I look at the collection now, I no longer see objects gathered from the earth. I see fragments of deep time, reminders of meaningful places and reflections of a connection that runs through much of my life. The stones do not simply sit upon a shelf. They continue to point beyond themselves; towards forests, hills, beaches, ancient seas and the wider living world from which they came.

In that sense, they are more than stones.

They are reflections in the earth.



Comments