Restoration
Restoration
I returned to the spring today, and I will admit that I felt apprehensive. I had not expected to feel that way, but as I walked back towards it, I found myself running through possibilities. Had the place been damaged again? Had someone cleared the destruction? Would anyone be there? Would the atmosphere feel different? The closer I got, the more I realised that I was not simply returning to a place. I was returning to a relationship, and I was afraid of discovering that it had been changed.
It is strange how quickly a place can become associated with a wound. The spring itself had done nothing. The water would still be flowing. The trees would still be standing. Yet after what had happened, I found myself wondering whether I would experience it differently. Whether the memory of desecration would now overshadow everything else.
As it turned out, my fears were unfounded.
The area had been cleared properly. The broken branches and scattered debris had been removed, and the place felt calmer, quieter, and somehow more like itself again. Then I found my stones.
They had not been thrown away. They had not disappeared. They had simply been displaced, half-hidden amongst the mud and leaf litter.
I cannot fully explain why finding them affected me so deeply. They were, after all, only stones and crystals that I had gathered over time and placed beside a small spring in a patch of woodland that most people will never visit and would probably never notice. Yet finding them brought an overwhelming sense of relief.
I picked them out of the mud, washed them in the spring water, and placed them back where they belonged. I rebuilt my little altar, my offering. It was a small act, a handful of stones arranged beside flowing water, but as I did so I realised that I was not restoring an arrangement of objects. I was restoring a connection.
It is strange how we become connected to places. Not because they are famous, or spectacular, or because they belong to us. Sometimes a place simply becomes part of our story. We return to it. We care for it. We notice when the water level changes, when a branch has fallen, when the seasons turn. We clear a path. We place a stone. We sit in silence. We allow ourselves to become known by that place as much as we come to know it.
And somewhere along the way, without really noticing, we become protective of it.
Not possessive, but protective.
We want it to flourish. We want it to remain itself. We feel a responsibility towards it, despite having no ownership, no authority, and no claim beyond the simple fact that we care. Perhaps that is why desecration feels so personal. When a place to which we have become connected is damaged, it does not feel like vandalism of an object or a location. It feels like an attack on a relationship. The spring itself still flows. The trees still stand. Yet something within us recoils because a place that has become part of our inner landscape has also been wounded.
Maybe this is what people mean when they speak of sacred places. Not that a place possesses some objective sacred quality, but that a relationship has formed there: a bond of care, memory, attention, and belonging. And when that bond is violated, we experience something very close to grief.
After rebuilding my offering, I went into the water.
Twice.
The first time, I eased myself in slowly, feeling the familiar shock of the cold spring water against my skin. I let my body adjust and simply sat there, immersed in the flow. The cold was intense, but it felt honest. Cleansing, not in any mystical sense, but in the simple reality of being fully present in that moment.
Later, I went in again. This time there was less hesitation. I lowered myself beneath the surface and allowed the water to envelop me. For a few moments, there was no anxiety, no apprehension, and no lingering memory of what had happened. There was only cold water, bare earth beneath my feet, and the sound of the spring continuing its endless journey.
It felt good to be there.
Not because it erased what had happened. Nothing can undo that. But because it reminded me that the relationship remained.
As I sat afterwards, drying slowly in the air and listening to the water, I realised that what I was feeling was more than relief.
It was reconnection.
The spring had not changed. The water had continued to flow. The earth had continued to hold its memories. The place had remained itself.
Perhaps restoration is not about returning things to how they were before. Perhaps restoration is about choosing to return, despite knowing that everything we love remains vulnerable.
The spring flows on.
And perhaps, so do we.
💚🌿
ReplyDelete